Current:Home > MarketsAlmost all of Nagorno-Karabakh’s people have left, Armenia’s government says -Capitatum
Almost all of Nagorno-Karabakh’s people have left, Armenia’s government says
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 17:45:00
YEREVAN, Armenia (AP) — An ethnic Armenian exodus has nearly emptied Nagorno-Karabakh of residents since Azerbaijan attacked and ordered the breakaway region’s militants to disarm, the Armenian government said Saturday.
Nazeli Baghdasaryan, the press secretary to Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan, said 100,417 people had arrived in Armenia from Nagorno-Karabakh, which had a population of around 120,000 before Azerbaijan reclaimed the region in a lightning offensive last week.
A total of 21,043 vehicles had crossed the Hakari Bridge, which links Armenia to Nagorno-Karabakh, since last week, Baghdasaryan said. Some lined up for days because the winding mountain road that is the only route to Armenia became jammed.
The departure of more than 80% of Nagorno-Karabakh’s population raises questions about Azerbaijan’s plans for the enclave that was internationally recognized as part of its territory. The region’s separatist ethnic Armenian government said Thursday it would dissolve itself by the end of the year after a three-decade bid for independence.
Pashinyan has alleged the ethnic Armenian exodus amounted to “a direct act of an ethnic cleansing and depriving people of their motherland.” Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry strongly rejected the characterization, saying the mass migration by the region’s residents was “their personal and individual decision and has nothing to do with forced relocation.”
During three decades of conflict in the region, Azerbaijan and the separatists backed by Armenia have accused each other of targeted attacks, massacres and other atrocities, leaving people on both sides deeply suspicious and fearful.
While Azerbaijan has pledged to respect the rights of ethnic Armenians in Nagorno-Karabakh, most are fleeing because they don’t trust Azerbaijani authorities to treat them humanely or to guarantee them their language, religion and culture.
After six years of separatist fighting ended in 1994 following the collapse of the Soviet Union, Nagorno-Karabakh came under the control of ethnic Armenian forces, backed by Armenia. Then, during a six-week war in 2020, Azerbaijan took back parts of the region in the south Caucasus Mountains along with surrounding territory that Armenian forces had claimed earlier.
In December, Azerbaijan blocked the Lachin Corridor, the only road connecting Nagorno-Karabakh with Armenia, accusing the Armenian government or using it for illicit weapons shipments to the region’s separatist forces.
Weakened by the blockade and with Armenia’s leadership distancing itself from the conflict, ethnic Armenian forces in the region agreed to lay down arms less than 24 hours after Azerbaijan began its offensive. Talks have begun between officials in the Azerbaijani capital of Baku and Nagorno-Karabakh’s separatist authorities on “reintegrating” the region into Azerbaijan.
veryGood! (43148)
Related
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Son of El Chapo and Sinaloa cartel members hit with U.S. sanctions over fentanyl trafficking
- Elon Musk targets impersonators on Twitter after celebrities troll him
- Maryland is the latest state to ban TikTok in government agencies
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Sam Bankman-Fried strikes apologetic pose as he describes being shocked by FTX's fall
- It's the end of the boom times in tech, as layoffs keep mounting
- Elon Musk suggests his SpaceX company will keep funding satellites in Ukraine
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- TikTok's Alix Earle Breaks Down Her Wellness Routine and Self-Care Advice
Ranking
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- South Carolina doctors give young Ukraine war refugee the gift of sound
- Why Demi Lovato's Sister Madison De La Garza Decided to Get Sober
- King Charles' official coronation pictures released: Meet the man who captured the photos
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Some Twitter users flying the coop hope Mastodon will be a safe landing
- FTX investors fear they lost everything, and wonder if there's anything they can do
- Everything We Know About Yellowjackets Season 2
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Why some Egyptians are fuming over Netflix's Black Cleopatra
Jamie Lee Curtis Shares Photo of Foot in Medical Boot After Oscar Win
Batman is dead and four new heroes can't quite replace him in 'Gotham Knights'
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Pregnant Jessie J Pens Heartfelt Message to Her Baby Boy Ahead of His Birth
FTC sues to block the $69 billion Microsoft-Activision Blizzard merger
Fears of crypto contagion are growing as another company's finances wobble